Final Thoughts: Pardus is one of the better designed desktop distributions that has been reviewed on this website. I could be using it on a computer I employ for serious stuff if only I could encrypt the disk during installation. For me, that is usually a show-stopper. If you do not care about disk encryption (the Electronic Frontier Foundation thinks you should, and I agree), and you are looking to distro-hop, give this distribution a try. It is not perfect, but with each release, it is getting better, a lot better than some very popular distributions.
To close this section, here is a short list of features I would be delighted to see on Pardus 2011.2:
- Disk encryption support in YALI
- Option to password-protect GRUB in YALI
- Binary XBMC package in the repository
- An advanced parental control system similar to the one on Mandriva
- At least one network security system activated by default other than the firewall
Resources: Release notes and download links for 32- and 64-bit ISO Live DVD and installation DVD images for Pardus 2011.1 are available here. Support questions may be posted here (Turkish) and at Questions & Answers.
Screenshots: More screenshots from test installations of Pardus 2011.1