Piwik is a free software/open source Web analytics software developed in much the same manner as most open source applications – global collaboration of talented coders doing what they love.
It is an alternative to Google Analytics and from my experience, better in many respects. If you manage websites and want to have complete control over traffic monitoring, Piwik is what you want to use. The latest version, released just today June 1 2012, is Piwik 1.8, and it comes with its share of new and improved features and bug fixes.
This release is rated critical, so if you are running Piwik 1.7.1, the previous stable version, immediate upgrade is highly recommended. The screen shot below is from the Real Time visitor info from one of my websites.
A partial list of the new and improved features in Piwik 1.8:
- Ability to import Web server logs from AWStats, Webalizer and others to Piwik’s Log Analytics
- Row Evolution – visualize a detailed report for a given row in any report table
- Create unlimited Custom Dashboards
- Embed Dashboard via Iframe and token_auth
- Ability to Flatten a report
- Report browser marketshare without version names
- Desktop vs mobile reporting
- Support for entry page titles and exit page titles
- Support for deleting old reports
- DoNotTrack support enabled by default
Read the complete changelog here. The download link is also on that page. You may view a demo here.
Screen shot of visitor stat from a Piwik installation.