“Zeroshell is a small, Linux distribution for servers and embedded devices aimed at providing the main network services a LAN requires. It is available in the form of Live CD or Compact Flash image …”
Origin – Home Page: Italy – Zeroshell.
Price: Zeroshell is Free Software (GNU GPL).
Comments:Zeroshell is designed to be operated from the LiveCD, if you are running the CD iso image, but configuration data may be saved to hard disk. The Compact Flash image has enough storage space for saving configuration data to. Regardless of the version you’ll be running, Zeroshell’s management interface is pretty comprehensive. With the exception of running the wifi-manager script, which the browser interface does not currently support, and enabling dhcp client on the management interface, every single function of Zeroshell is accessible and configurable via a browser.
The following are just a few of the many features of Zeroshell:
- Captive Portal to support the web login on wireless and wired networks
- RADIUS server for wireless and id-based network services, with support for EAP-TLS, EAP-TTLS and PEAP
- QoS (Quality of Service) management and traffic shaping
- Wireless Access Point mode with Multiple SSID and VLAN support
- VPN, using OpenVPN, with support for Host-to-LAN and LAN-LAN
- RIPv2 routing with Firewall Packet Filter and Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI)
- Multizone DNS server
You may view the base features of Zeroshell as well as that of other distros in the firewall cum router category in the feature overview of Linux and BSD firewall and router distros.
Download Zeroshell is still in beta status, but you may download a LiveCD or a 512MB Compact Flash image from the Zeroshell download page