Spicebird is a free and open source, cross platform communications application, featuring email, contacts, group calendaring, instant messaging, RSS, and Google applets in an easy to use and uncluttered interface. Developed by Synovel Software of India, it is currently in beta stage (version 0.7 was recently released).
Spicebird aims to be a better open source solution than Evolution and Thunderbird, and the release of Spicebird 0.7 beta is a significant step taken towards the release of Spicebird 1.0, which will have a lot more features than is currently available in the beta version. Currently, the GNU/Linux version does not have all the features of the Windows version, but that should change as more updates are released.
The following features are expected to be implemented in version 1.0 and beyond:
- Integration with a CMS (Drupal)
- Document management
- More views for calendar and tasks
- Microsoft Exchange connector
- Multiple backends for tasks management
- Partial project management features
- A more meaningful address book
- Last conversation/chat with a contact
- Source of contact